kyleInMotion

Shadowhunters and Downworlders - Kelly Link, Diana Peterfreund, Sara Ryan, Kami Garcia, Sarah Rees Brennan, Kate Milford, Michelle Hodkin, Kendare Blake, Gwenda Bond, Scott Tracey, Rachel Caine, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Sarah Cross, Robin Wasserman ARC provided by the publisher via netgalley.

summary:

In her bestselling Young adult novels 'The Mortal Instruments' and 'The infernal devices' Cassandra Clare introduced readers to the world of the shadowhunters; demon slaying nephilim who guard mortals against the supernatural world. In 'Shadowhunters and Downworlders' Clare provides introductions to essays written by other popular YA authors, about the world she has created.

Review:

This was the type of book you can sit down with for two or three hours and read cover-to-cover. Many popular authors have read TMI/TID and written essays for the books. Each essay features an introduction by Clare, and the title page of each essay has some cool swirly designs. I'm guessing they're runes.

There were essays on every aspect of the books, such as incest, tattoos, relationships (romance and friendship), Ethnicity (focusing mainly on Simon Lewis, Jewish Vampire extraordinaire) along with what makes a good villain, or just a good character in general, and stuff like war, peace and setting.

I found myself really getting into the writing; each author had a different style, and they were arranged around each other really well. Some essays were comedic and easy reading, others were full of fun facts and cool information and a few were in-depth analysis'of literature and humanity. Really, though, it got dark there a couple of times.

All in all it was a fun and entertaining read. For fans who want something to read while waiting for CP2 or COHF this is just the right book to pick up. I know I'll be buying a paperback when it's released.

Invisible Monsters